The Stepmoms on a Mission (SMOMS) Members Forum is a community of Stepmoms, supported by Cathryn Bond Doyle, who are looking for compassionate, creative and effective solutions to stepfamily challenges. There are two levels of participation: FREE access to private written forums and one-time fee for support groups with Cathryn (live and replays). See details on Community Page.

For every NEW membership you need to click “Create an account” in upper right corner, review and accept our guidelines below this message, and select a username. Choose a nickname—NOT your real name—to protect your privacy. For returning Members, see “Login" in upper right.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single Girls Guide to Marrying Him, His Ex-Wive and his kids
I read this book in one sitting last night. It was great, so funny and charming. It seems like so much surrounding stepfamilies is gloom and doom and this book is a little more real. Not sugar coating anything, but showing positive sides of stepmothering as well as practical solutions to typical issues.

I loved the archetypical BM list. Mine is the Idolized Mom in Absentia. Also I loved "Dad and Stephanie's Household Rules." I find that clear expectations relieve a lot of tension and problems in my house. I'm thinking of drawing up a list of rules like this. The section on money was super helpful, too. Thank god my husband doesn't pay alimony or child support since we have full custody.

What I got out of this book was the same thing that I got from discovering this forum- just knowing that other people deal with the same BS that I do helps so much, even though I've been doing okay by myself for a long time and will continue to be okay, life is better when I know that I share burdens with other bio-moms and Smoms.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Single Girls Guide to Marrying Him, His Ex-Wive and his kids - by Meredith - 09-05-2012, 02:17 PM